Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Early Cotton Press



Marker ID: SCHM 17-3
Location: SC 38, 0.3 mile W of its junction with SC 917
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 20.298    W 079° 31.412
  34.3383    -79.523533
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This cotton press, built in 1798 according to tradition, is thought by many to be the oldest in existence. It was first owned and used by John Bethea, III, and later by Henry Berry. Powered by oxen or mules rotating the beam to tighten the press, it was rendered obsolete by modem machinery. A Berry descendant moved it to this site about 1948 to preserve it.

Erected by Dillon County Historical Society - 1974