Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Selkirk Farm



Marker ID: SCHM 17-5
Location: Intersection of Roads 28 and 38, about 3.5 miles NE of Bingham
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 28.068    W 079° 30.072
  34.4678    -79.5012
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

David Satterwhite was granted 177 acres here in 1789 by Charles Pinckney, governor of S. C. In 1855 this tract passed into the hands of the Rev. James A. Cousar, who added a three-acre tract in 1858 on which he built the present house, gin house, and outbuildings. The name originated from a nearby post office, which was discontinued in 1901.

Erected by Dillon County Historic Preservation Commission - 1975