Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Dillon County



Marker ID: SCHM 17-8
Location: Dillon County Courthouse grounds, Dillon
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 25.108    W 079° 22.506
  34.41846    -79.3751
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Originally in colonial Craven County, this area became part of Georgetown District, 1769; Liberty County, 1785; Marion District, 1798; and Marion County, 1868. The movement to separate this county from upper Marion County began some years before the General Assembly enacted the bill creating Dillon County. It was signed by Governor Martin F. Ansel, Feb. 5,1910, in the presence of Dillon citizens.

Erected by Dillon County Historic Preservation Commission - 1979


Notes:

Two Sided Marker - Dillon County Courthouse