Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Latta Library



Marker ID: SCHM 17-9
Location: Main and Marion streets, Latta, SC
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 20.317    W 079° 26.07
  34.33861666    -79.4345
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
In 1911, W. C. Allen led a movement for a public library in Latta and was authorized by the town council to negotiate with Andrew Carnegie for funds. After the town complied with conditions set by Carnegie, Carnegie donated $5,000 and C. F. Bass of Latta gave land for the building, which opened as the Latta Library in 1914. Voters in a valid election levied a tax for maintenance. A rear portion and north wing were added later.

(Reverse)
This library initially served the Latta area and its schools, but in 1929 extended its service to all Dillon County schools. The cost led the library board to ask the county to provide aid. The county complied, although local control of library services continued. By statutory provision in 1973, a county library providing for countywide control was established; the Latta Library is the base of this operation.

Erected by Latta Rotary Club - 1979