Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Reedy Creek Springs



Marker ID: SCHM 17-10
Location: Near Marlboro-Dillon county line, about 1 mile S of Bingham on SC 34
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 25.368    W 079° 33.24
  34.4228   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
About 0.4 mile NW is Reedy Creek Springs, known for the medicinal value of its water. Here, before the turn of the century,
William B. Allen laid out a quadrangle of a few acres, planted water oaks, and built a pavilion, hotel, cottages, and stables. The spa became popular as a gathering place for religious, educational, cultural, and social groups from a wide area.

(Reverse)
Reedy Creek Springs was a popular Pee Dee area resort for a number of years before and after 1900, and visitors traveled here by train and by horse. As automobiles became common, however, vacationers went further afield, and the springs were neglected and suffered the ravages of time. Broken stones now mark the site of this once-popular spa.

Erected by Dillon County Historic Preservation Commission - 1982