Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Town of Dillon



Marker ID: SCHM 17-12
Location: Near Seaboard Coastline railroad depot, Main Street, Dillon
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 25.047    W 079° 22.342
  34.41744    -79.37237
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Dillon was laid out by civil engineers of the Florence Railroad Company following a plan by John H. David, a local physician. The town was incorporated by the General Assembly on December 22, 1888, and its boundaries extended in a half-mile radius from the railroad depot. The first mayor and postmaster of the town was Duncan McLaurin. In 1893, a freight station was constructed, and in 1904, the present passenger depot was built.

Erected by Dillon County Historic Preservation Commission - 1980


Notes:

Two Sided Marker - Florence Railroad Company