Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Main Street Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 17-13
Location: on E. Mina St (SC 9/57) at N 6th Ave., Dillon, SC
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 24.931    W 079° 22.130
  34.41552    -79.36884
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, founded in 1892, built its first sanctuary at West Main St. and Third Ave., where the Dillon County Courthouse now stands. That lot was donated by James W. Dillon (1826-1913), for whom the town and county are named. The original church, a frame building, was moved to the corner of Third Ave. and Hudson St. in 1910 to make way for the new county courthouse, completed in 1911.

(Reverse)
The first sanctuary here, a brick cruciform church in the Gothic Revival style, was designed by Charlotte architect Oliver D. Wheeler (1864-1942). Completed in 1914, it only stood seven months before it burned in January 1915. The congregation worshipped in the courthouse until a new church was built. Wheeler also designed the present sanctuary, which duplicates his original design and was completed in 1916.

Erected by the Congregation, 2003


Notes:

Two Sided Marker