Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ford’s Mill & Page’s Mill / Lake View



Marker ID: SCHM 17-14
Location: on N Main St (SC 41), Lake View SC
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 20.97    W 079° 9.917
  34.3495    -79.16528333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1792 Major William Ford built a dam at each end of Bear Swamp, creating a millpond and building a grist mill. This area was known as Ford´s Mill for many years. In 1870 Dr. C. T. Ford sold the property to his brother-in-law, Joseph N. Page, who soon opened a large general store. The community was renamed Page´s Mill, and in 1877 a post office was opened with J. N. Page as its first postmaster.

After the railroad came through this area in 1900 the town of Page´s Mill grew from the mill, general tore, and post office toward the railroad tracks. The town of Page´s mill was incorporated February 26, 1907. The Ford´s Mill / Page´s Mill community, part of Marion County since the county was created in 1798, became part of Dillon County when that county was created in 1910. It was renamed Lake View in 1916.

2007 by the Town of Lake View