Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pine Hill A.M.E. Church / Pine Hill Rosenwald School



Marker ID: SCHM 17-15
Location: 2258 Centerville Rd., Latta, SC
County: Dillon
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

PINE HILL A.M.E. CHURCH


This church, founded in 1876, was in Marion County before Dillon County was created in 1910. At first on S.C. Hwy. 34, the church acquired this site in 1891 when Alfred Franklin Page (1863-1929) and his wife Laura Willis Page (1886-1963) donated 1.97 acres here. The congregation built a new Pine Hill A.M.E. Church shortly afterwards. This sanctuary was built in 1977.

PINE HILL ROSENWALD SCHOOL


Pine Hill Rosenwald School, one of the first ten Rosenwald schools in the state, was built here in 1917-18. One of 500 rural black schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932, it was a frame two-room school. With two to four teachers, it reached a peak of 208 students in grades 1-7 in 1938-39. The school closed in 1957 and burned in 1977.

Erected by the Congregation, 2011



Notes:

Two Sided marker

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington