Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Leland Grove School



Marker ID: SCHM 17-16
Location: SC 57, west of Bakers Rd, Dillon, SC
County: Dillon
Coordinates: N 34° 35.096    W 079° 25.268
  34.58493333    -79.42113333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(side 1)
This was one of a few American Indian in S.C., built c. 1926 as one-room school. It averaged about 50 American Indian students a year, from the Carolinas community and other areas of Dillon and Marlboro Counties. In 1940 the facility was expanded with the addition of a second room. James Braboy Knox (1906-1976) was principal, teacher, and custodian 1934-1970.

(side 2)
Braboy, a Lumbee Indian and native of N.C., was named S.C. Teacher of the Year in 1970 for his dedication to his students. He walked them to school across the McInnis Bridge over the Little Pee Dee River before the county bought a bus, then drove the bus for many years, Leland Grove School closed after the 1969-1970 school year with the desegregation of S.C. schools.


Sponsored by the Leland Grove School Society, 2015



Notes:

Two Sided marker