Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Dorchester



Marker ID: SCHM 18-1
Location: SC 642 at Dorchester State Park
County: Dorchester
Coordinates: N 32° 57.007    W 080° 10.259
  32.950117    -80.170983
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Laid out in 1697 as a market town for the Congregationalist colony from Dorchester, Mass., the village contained 116 quarteracre lots and a town square and commons. An Anglican church was built in 1720, a fair was established in 1723, and a Free School in 1734. Dorchester became a trade center and by 1781 had about 40 houses. The town gradually declined after the Revolution. By 1788 it was abandoned.

Erected by S.C. State Commission of Forestry, Division of State Parks - 1963