Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester



Marker ID: SCHM 18-2
Location: SC 642 at Dorchester State Park
County: Dorchester
Coordinates: N 32° 56.955    W 080° 10.214
  32.94925    -80.170233
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

St. George´s, an Anglican parish, was erected 1717. A brick church 50 ft. long and 30 ft. wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730s. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by the British in the Revolution, the church was partially repaired and used afterwards, but as the congregation moved away, it fell into decay.

Erected by S.C. State Commission of Forestry, Division of State Parks - 1963