Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fort Dorchester



Marker ID: SCHM 18-3
Location: SC 642 at Dorchester State Park
County: Dorchester
Coordinates: N 32° 56.855    W 080° 10.207
  32.947583    -80.170117
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

A brick powder magazine enclosed by a tabby wall eight feet high was built here in 1757. During the Revolution, Dorchester was a strategic point. In 1775 the magazine was fortified and the garrison commanded by Capt. Francis Marion. British troops occupied the town in April 1780. They were driven out by cavalry and infantry under Co!. Wade Hampton and Gen. Nathanael Greene on December 1, 1781.

Erected by S. C. State Commission of Forestry. Division of State Parks - 1963