Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old White Meeting House and Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 18-5
Location: At church site and cemetery, Summerville area
County: Dorchester
Coordinates: N 32° 57.963    W 080° 11.729
  32.96605    -80.195483
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was established in 1696.by settlers from Dorchester, Mass., for which the town of Dorchester was named. This brick sanctuary, built ca 1700, was occupied and then burned by British troops in 1781. The church was reorganized as ´The United Independent Congregational Church of Dorchester and Beech Hill" in 1793 and the building rebuilt the next year. A summer church was built in nearby Summerville in 1831.

(Reverse)
In 1859 members of the Dorchester congregation established the Summerville Presbyterian Church, which was then admitted into the Charleston Presbytery. The church at this site, often called "Old White Meeting House," was almost abandoned and was in disrepair in 1886 when the Charleston earthquake reduced it to ruins. The cemetery here includes graves dating from the eighteenth century to the present.

Erected by Summerville Presbyterian Church - 1996