Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Appleby's Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 18-10
Location: Old Wire Rd. (S.C. Sec. Rd. 18-19), at its junction with Cowtail Rd. (S.C. Sec. Rd. 18-71), St. George, SC
County: Dorchester
Coordinates: N 33° 8.214    W 080° 39.102
  33.1369    -80.6517
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was organized shortly after the Revolution and this site was deeded to seven trustees in 1787. One of them, Jacob Barr, was the first minister to serve here. Appleby´s Methodist Church was named for a prominent local family and the Greek Revival sanctuary here was most likely built between 1840 and 1850. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

(Reverse)
The cemetery includes plots of the Appleby and other area families, and the graves of some slaves as well. Capt. Morgan T. Appleby´s company was organized here for Confederate service in the spring of 1862, using the churchyard as its muster ground. Later Company C of the 24th S.C. Infantry, it served in S.C., Miss., Tenn., Ga., and N.C. from 1862 to 1865.

Erected by the Generals Gordon-Capers Camp #123,
Sons of Confederate Veterans, 2002