Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. George Public High School/St. George Graded School



Marker ID: SCHM 18-24
Location: 205 Raysor Street, Saint George, SC
County: Dorchester
Coordinates: N 33° 11.303    W 080° 34.497
  33.18838333    -80.57495
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

St. George Public High School


St. George High School was built in 1927 on the corner of Raysor and Ridge Sts. In 1936 the school district received a W.P.A. grant to build a new gymnasium. The building continued as a high school until 1956, when a new school was built nearby. It remained in use as an elementary school until 1972. In 2000 the building was renovated by Dorchester County and became a county service building.


St. George Graded School


The first free school in St. George was located at the corner of Whitridge and George Its. In 1884 it was moved to a two-story building near this site. In 1907 a new building replaced the first schoolhouse. It housed grades 1-10. In 1927 St. George High School was built adjacent to the 1907 building, which became St. George Elementary. The 1907 school was closed in 1961 and razed in 1962.


Erected 2017 by The Dorchester County Historical Society and the Class of 1954.