Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Johnston



Marker ID: SCHM 19-12
Location: CornerafS.C. Hwy. 121 and SC Hwy. 23, Johnston
County: Edgefield
Coordinates: N 33° 49.914    W 081° 48.058
  33.8319    -81.800967
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Johnston, founded in 1868 as Johnston´s Station on the Charlotte, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad and also known as Johnson´s Turn Out, was named for railroad president William Johnston. It was first incorporated in 1875 and rechartered with its present name of Johnston in 1897. The Johnston Historic District, a collection of 146 houses, businesses, and churches dating from ca. 1880 to ca 1920, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

Erected by the Town of Johnston, S.C. - 1997