Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Edgefield



Marker ID: SCHM 19-18
Location: Main St. & Bacon St. near the Town Hall, Edgefield, SC
County: Edgefield
Coordinates: N 33° 47.339    W 081° 55.652
  33.78898333    -81.92753333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Edgefield was founded in 1785 as the county seat and site of the new courthouse and jail for Edgefield County, created out of the old Ninety-Six District. Also called Edgefield Village or Edgefield Court House, it was described by Robert Mills as “a neat little village´ in 1826, and was incorporated in 1830. Edgefield, with a reputation as a center of politics and law, gave the state many of its most prominent figures for more than 150 years.

(Reverse)
Ten governors and five lieutenant governors of S.C. from 1812 to 1951 were natives or residents of Edgefield or the county. Cotton was the major crop in the area for many years. Commercial growth and a new prosperity that followed the arrival of the railroad in 1888 and the opening of the Edgefield Cotton Mill in 1898 lasted until the mid-20th century. The Edgefield Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Erected by the Edgefield Community Development Association, 2011