Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Philippi Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 19-21
Location: 125 Steeple Rd, Johnston, SC
County: Edgefield
Coordinates: N 33° 46.880    W 081° 45.820
  33.78133333    -81.76366666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Philippi Baptist Church

side 1:
This church, established in 1814 and a charter member of the Ridge Baptist Association, is among the oldest in Edgefield County. Revs. Thomas DeLoach, Francis Walker, and John Landrum organized the church, with twenty-five white and black charter members, including three slaves. After the Civil War the black members left to form their own congregation.


side 2:
The first church, a log building, was 3 to 4 mi. SE and was replaced by a second log church, built here. The third church, a small frame building, was replaced in 1897 by the present church, built at a cost of $850 and described as “one of the largest and handsomest churches in Western Carolina.” Rev. J.C. Browne (1836-1914), the longest-serving minister, preached here 1885-1913.

Sponsored by the Congregation, 2014