Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Nuclear Power



Marker ID: SCHM 20-5
Location: Road 16, 1.1 miles from its intersection with SC 215 near Parr
County: Fairfield
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Two miles west of here at Parr Shoals on Broad River is the first atomic nuclear power plant in the Southeast. In 1954, the Atomic Energy Act was amended to allow the construction of nuclear power plants by private industry. Built by Carolinas Virginia Nuclear Power Associates, Inc., this plant was dedicated on October 24, 1962.

Erected by Fairfield County Historical Society - 1965