Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mount Olivet Church



Marker ID: SCHM 20-13
Location: on Highway 20, .3 miles W of SC 200, 7 miles N of Winnsboro
County: Fairfield
Coordinates: N 34° 27.88    W 081° 2.016
  34.46466666    -81.0336
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Organized before 1785, this Presbyterian Church was originally known as Wolf Pit Church, later as Wateree, and was finally named Mt. Olivet in 1800. The Reverend William Martin, a Covenanter minister licensed by the Reformed Presbytery of Scotland, was an early minister here. The present house of worship was completed in 1869.

Erected by the congregation - 1975