Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fairfield Institute



Marker ID: SCHM 20-16
Location: on Congress Street between Moultrie and Palmer Streets, Winnsboro
County: Fairfield
Coordinates: N 34° 13.514    W 081° 3.058
  34.22523333    -81.05096666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This grade school and normal institute for blacks was founded in 1869 during Reconstruction by the Northern Presbyterian Church. The Reverend Willard Richardson was principal. In 1880, one hundred of its students were studying to be teachers and twenty others to enter the ministry. The school closed in 1888 to merge with Brainerd Institute in Chester. The site is located one block west.

Erected by Fairfield County Historical Society - 1985


Notes:

Two sided marker - Kelly Miller