Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bethel Church



Marker ID: SCHM 20-19
Location: Comer of Washington & Zion streets, Winnsboro
County: Fairfield
Coordinates: N 34° 22.86    W 081° 5.088
  34.381    -81.0848
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was incorporated in 1823. Early pastors were the Rev. James Lyle and the Rev. Thomas Ketchin, installed 1825 and 1844 respectively. The old cemetery, located at comer of Fairfield and Vanderhorst streets, is the traditional site of first church building; the second, located across Fairfield Street, was dedicated in 1873. The Woman´s Benevolent Society was organized 1871 and the Junior Christian

(Reverse)
Union in 1883. The congregation, under the Rev. Charles E. McDonald´s leadership, moved to this site upon completing the present 1903 building. The Boag Memorial Educational Building, dedicated 1937, was a gift ofMr. & Mrs. James O. Boag. Buried in the cemetery are the Rev. Neill E. Pressly D.D., and Rachel Elliott Pressly, first ARP missionaries to Mexico 1878-1917; and the Rev. Oliver Johnson, D.D., pastor of this church 1908-1945.

Erected by the congregation - 1993