Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Witherspoon's Ferry



Marker ID: SCHM 21-3
Location: SC 51 just N of Johnsonville
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 33° 50.224    W 079° 26.925
  33.83706666    -79.44875
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In use during the American Revolution, Witherspoon´s Ferry was the site where Francis Marion accepted command of the Williamsburg militia in 1780. Ownership of the ferry lands passed from Robert to John Witherspoon in 1787; in 1802 John bequeathed the land to Aimwell Presbyterian Church. The church had closed by 1820.

Erected by Three Rivers Historical Society - 1979


Notes:

Two sided marker - Johnsonville