Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Marion at Port's Ferry



Marker ID: SCHM 21-4
Location: about 3 miles N of Johnsonville on SC highways 41 & 51
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 33° 51.602    W 079° 26.820
  33.86003333    -79.447
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Port´s Ferry, 3 miles NE on the Pee Dee, was owned and operated by Frances Port (c. 1725-1812), widow of Thomas Port, who was a member of the Provincial Congress from Prince Frederick´s Parish. This was a strategic crossing for Francis Marion, who fortified and used it frequently in his fall campaign of 1780 against British and Tories.

Erected by Three Rivers Historical Society - 1980


Notes:

Two sided marker - Asbury at Port's Ferry

More information:
Wikipedia - Francis Marion
The Patriot Resource - Francis Marion

The Swamp Fox Murals Trail Society
Francis Marion Trail