Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ebenezer Church



Marker ID: SCHM 21-5
Location: about 1.2 miles N of us 76 on Road 112, W side of Florence
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 10.750    W 079° 51.143
  34.17916666    -79.85238333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
In January of 1778 Ebenezer Baptist Church was constituted by pioneer minister Evan Pugh and Richard Furman, for whom Furman University is named. Admitted to the Charleston Baptist Association in 1778, the church was incorporated in 1791 as "The Baptist Church, Ebenezer, Jeffrie´s Creek." Timothy Dargan was an early minister, who served the church until his death in 1783.


(Reverse)
Through the years, this church has supported evangelism, missions, and education. One member, Neale C. Young, served forty-two years as missionary to Nigeria. Another, Ruth Pettigrew, was a missionary to China and Hong Kong for thirty-nine years. Miss Young is buried in Ebenezer Cemetery and Miss Pettigrew in Hong Kong, where she chose to spend her last days.

Erected by The Congregation - 1982