Historic Markers Across South Carolina



DeWitt Bluff



Marker ID: SCHM 21-7
Location: SE of Pamplico just N of intersection of Roads 40 and 57
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 33° 59.419    W 079° 31.53
  33.99031666    -79.5255
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Located about ´h mile east, this bluff, part of a Royallandgrant to Edward Crofts in 1740, was named for the DeWitt family, who settled nearby prior to 1767. This area of Prince Frederick Parish was one of eleven such townships planned by the British Crown in 1730 to foster settlement and protect the interior of the province.

(Reverse)
The bluff, named for the DeWitt family who settled in this area before 1767, is located about ´h mile east of here. By 1840, an adjacent landing for steamboats plying the Pee Dee River was named for the bluff. Members of the DeWitt family served in the Revolution and in the War Between the States; the family still owns land in this area.

Erected by Florence County Historical Society - 1987