Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Columns



Marker ID: SCHM 21-13
Location: on E Old Marion Hwy (SC-S-21-24) at Rankin Plantation Rd.
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 13.631    W 079° 38.902
  34.227183    -79.648367
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Greek Revival House was built ca. 1854 for William R. Johnson, (1813-1893), physician, planter, and legislator in what was then Marion District. Johnson, an 1838 gradutate of the Medical College of S.C., later served in the S.C. House of Representatives 1852-55 and the S.C. Senate 1860-63; he died here in 1893 and is buried at nearby Hopewell Presbyterian Church.

Erected by The Pee Dee Committee, The National Society Of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina, 2000


Notes:

Two sided marker - William R. Johnson