Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hewn ~ Timber Cabins



Marker ID: SCHM 21-15
Location: on Hwy. 301 in Florence county.
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 11.766    W 079° 38.978
  34.1961    -79.649633
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
The African Americans who built the two hewn~timber cabins that stand 200 yds. S. on Wallace Woods Road were brought to Mars Bluff as slaves in 1836. They lived in these cabins on the cotton plantation of J. Eli Gregg, in what was then Marion District. These cabins are the last two of eight that originally stood in a cotton field at what is now the center of the university campus.

(reverse)
The cabins built of 4" x 9" hand~hewn timbers, feature precise full~dovetail joints and pine plank floors. They were enlarged after the Civil War. Freedmen and and later tenant farmers lived in these houses until the 1950s. Relocated several times, one cabin was moved to this site in 1980, the other in 1990. They were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Erected by Francis Marion university 2002