Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Florence Depot (1852)



Marker ID: SCHM 21-19
Location: on Hoffmeyer Rd. in Florence, SC
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 11.592    W 079° 48.650
  34.1932    -79.810833
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front) Florence Depot (1852)
The original depot named Florence was built here in 1852, where the Wilmington & Manchester RR crossed present~day Hoffmeyer Rd. It was named for Florence Harllee (1848~1927), daughter of the railroad´s president, William W. Harllee (1812~1897). In 1855 a new depot was built 2mi. E. where the railroad crossed Coit St., the Cheraw & Darlington RR, and the North Eastern RR.

(Reverse) WILMINGTON & MANCHESTER RR
The 1855 depot became the center of Florence, incorporated in 1871. The Wilmington & Manchester RR, chartered in 1846, began operating in 1853 and ran from Eagle Island, N.C., to Manchester, S.C., passing within 10 milesw of Darlington, S.C. In 1870 it was reorganized as the Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta RR. It became part of the Atlantic Coast Line RR in 1898.

Erected by the Florence County Historical Society - 2005.