Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jamestown



Marker ID: SCHM 21-22
Location: on E Old Marion Hwy (SC-S-21-24) near Jamestown Rd.
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 12.817    W 079° 36.699
  34.213617    -79.61165
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This African American Community which flourished here for 70 years, has its origins in a 105-acre tract bought in 1870 by former slave Ervin James (1815-1872). James, determined to own his own farm instead of being dependent on sharecropping or tenant farming, bought the tract from Eli McKissick and Mary Poston. His five sons and a son-in-law divided the tract into individual farms.

(reverse)
Between 1870 and 1940 Ervin James´s descendants and other area families purchased additional land, creating a rural community of about 250 residents. Among its institutions were the Jamestown Cemetery, dating from its earliest days; the Summerville Methodist Church (renamed Bowers Chapel), established about 1880; and the Summerville Elementary School, built in 1926.

Erected by the Jamestown Reunion Committee, 2006