Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pisgah Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 21-23
Location: on N Ebenezer Rd. north of W Hoffmeyer Rd.
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 12.684    W 079° 50.365
  34.2114    -79.839417
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This Church, founded in 1806 in what was Darlington District until Florence County was founded in 1888, grew out of an early Methodist "Society." Rev. Thomas Humphries (d. 1820), who served this and other area circuits, conducted the first service. In 1813 Dempsey Russell donated an acre to the congregation which soon built a frame building here as its first permanent church.

(Reverse)
The church, often called "Russell´s Meeting House" or "Russell´s Church" for Dempsey Russell, changed its name to Pisgah Methodist Church in 1840. It moved to a site a few miles west after the Civil War but soon returned to this site and built a larger frame church in 1878-79. The present church, built in 1914, is a fine example of the Carpenter Gothic architectural style.

Erected by the Congregation, 2006