Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hopewell Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 21-25
Location: on Old River Rd, Claussen, SC
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 07.706    W 079° 37.408
  34.12843333    -79.62346666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church, organized ca. 1770, is the first Presbyterian church in what is now Florence County. Many of its founding families came to S.C. from Scotland and Ireland. The first church here, a frame building, stood across Old River Road with the church cemetery around it, but burned soon after it was completed. The second church was replaced by this Greek Revival Church in 1842, with its two-story portico, gallery, and original pews. Darlington (1827), Florence First (1861), and Effingham (1906) are daughter churches of Hopewell. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.

ERECTED BY THE CONGREGATION IN MEMORY OF MRS. W.M. (LYDIA) GREGG, JR., 2008