Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Red Doe



Marker ID: SCHM 21-27
Location: Francis Marion Rd. (S.C. Hwy. 327), .5 mi. S of Liberty Chapel Rd., approximately 3 mi. E of Florence, SC
County: Florence
Coordinates: N 34° 10.51    W 079° 38.903
  34.17516666    -79.64838333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This house was built in 1846 for Evander A. Gregg (1818-1874), a planter in what was Marion District. Its high masonry basement and porch form, indigenous to northeastern S.C., make it a fine example of a raised Carolina cottage. It was acquired by R.L. Singletary (1830-1910) in 1867 and by J.W. Wallace (1861-1928) in 1912. The plantation was named Red Doe in the 1930s.

(Reverse)
“Red Doe” refers to an incident during the Revolution when Patriot scout Andrew Hunter escaped on “Red Doe,” the horse of Loyalist Col. David Fanning. Red Doe, restored by Chisolm and Annie Wallace in 1940, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 2006 Robert P. Wilkins donated it to a nonprofit group for preservation.

Erected by the Florence City and County Historical Commission, 2009