Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Methodists



Marker ID: SCHM 22-15
Location: Highmarket St. near Orange St., Georgetown
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.162    W 079° 16.944
  33.369367    -79.2824
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

William Wayne, nephew of Revolutionary General Anthony Wayne, was converted here by Bishop Francis Asbury on February 24, 1785, and a Methodist congregation was formed later that year. Woolman Hickson was appointed minister. This is the site of an early cemetery, parsonage, and church (c.1833), in use until 1903 when the present nearby structure, Duncan Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, was dedicated.

Erected by The Congregation to honor Elizabeth J. Ashford, church historian-1982