Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bethel Church



Marker ID: SCHM 22-22
Location: Cnr of Duke and Broad Sts., Georgetown, SC
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.113    W 079° 16.860
  33.36855    -79.281
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This African Methodist Episcopal church was the first separate black church in Georgetown County. It was established by the Rev. A. T. Carr shortly after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation, which freed the slaves. The church purchased this property Jan. 15, 1866, and remodeled the present building in 1908 when the Rev. R. W. Mance was minister. The educational building was built in 1949 under the pastorate of Rev. H. B. Butler, Jr.

Erected by Georgetown Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta - 1988