Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Prince George Winyah Parish (1721)



Marker ID: SCHM 22-41
Location: S.c. Highway 51, one mile from Georgetown side of Brown's Ferry Bridge, Georgetown vicinity
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 31.495    W 079° 22.994
  33.524917    -79.383233
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Early settlement in this area near the Black River, based primarily on the Indian trade and the production of naval stores, prompted the creation of Prince George Winyah Parish in 1721. When the first Anglican church to serve the parish was built in 1726 Governor Francis Nicholson made a donation toward its construction. The Rev. Thomas Morritt became the first rector of Prince George Winyah in 1728.

Erected by the Georgetown Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina - 1996


Notes:

Two sided - Prince Frederick's Parish (1734)