Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Prince Frederick's Parish (1734)



Marker ID: SCHM 22-41
Location: S.c. Highway 51, one mile from Georgetown side of Brown's Ferry Bridge, Georgetown vicinity
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 31.495    W 079° 22.994
  33.524917    -79.383233
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Within a few years successful rice production and the growth of Georgetown helped expand settlement inland and prompted the creation of a new parish. Prince Frederick´s Parish included this area when it was established in 1734. A new parish church for Prince George Winyah was built in Georgetown by 1747 and the sanctuary here served Prince Frederick´s Parish until a new parish church was built near the Pee Dee River in 1837.

Erected by the Georgetown Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina - 1996


Notes:

Two sided - Prince George Winyah Parish (1721)