Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 22-42
Location: Highmarket and Cleland Streets, Georgetown
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.334    W 079° 17.190
  33.372233    -79.2865
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This congregation, founded in 1794 and long known as Antipedo Baptist Church, was the first separate Baptist congregation in Georgetown. Baptists had worshipped in the area as early as 1710, sharing the Black Mingo Meeting House with the Presbyterians and later sharing the Old Brick Church with other denominations during the period when the Church of England was the only officially-recognized church in South Carolina.

(Reverse)
Antipedo Baptist Church was located on Church S1. by 1804. A later sanctuary, on Lot 130 on Highmarket St., was renamed First Baptist Church of Georgetown in 1911 and was occupied until 1915. In 1913 this lot was purchased for a new sanctuary, completed in 1915. First Baptist Church has occupied three sanctuaries on this site: the first 1915-1949, the second 1949-1996, and the present sanctuary, which was completed in 1997.

Erected by First Baptist Church - 1997