Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Beth Elohim Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 22-44
Location: Corner of Broad and Duke Streets. Georgetown
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.209    W 079° 16.801
  33.37015    -79.280017
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This cemetery, established ca. 1772, is the second oldest Jewish cemetery in the state and serves a community which has been significant here since well before the American Revolution. Abraham Cohen and Mordecai Myers, who opened stores in the town in 1762 and 1772, are buried here, as is Heiman Kaminski, who arrived in Georgetown in 1856 and was one of its most prominent businessmen by the turn of the twentieth century.

(Reverse)
The Jewish community has emphasized leadership and public service from the beginning; Abraham Cohen, for example, was a member of the committee welcoming President George Washington in 1791. Three of Georgetown´s six Jewish mayors are also buried here: Louis S. Ehrich (Mayor 1886-88), Harold Kaminski (1930-35), and Sylvan L. Rosen (1948-1961).

Erected by Georgetown County Historical Society-1997