Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Robert Stewart House*



Marker ID: SCHM 22-45
Location: 1019 Front Street, Georgetown
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.123    W 079° 17.210
  33.368717    -79.286833
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Robert Stewart House was built between 1740 and 1770 by Robert Stewart (d. 1776), a planter and militia captain; it was sold in 1787 to Daniel Tucker (d. 1797), prominent Georgetown merchant. When President George Washington arrived in Georgetown during his southern tour on April 30, 1791, a militia company and local reception committee met him at the nearby boat landing and escorted him here, where he spent the night as Tucker´s guest.

(Reverse)
Washington was entertained lavishly and then honored by the Masons of Prince George Lodge No. 16 and the Winyah Indigo Society. This house, the only extant brick residence in Georgetown built before the American Revolution, was later owned by Benjamin Allston, Sr. (1765-1847). It remained in the hands of his descendants, the Pyatt and Parker families, until 1979.

Erected by Georgetown County Historical Society - 1997