Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Georgetown County Courthouse*



Marker ID: SCHM 22-46
Location: Corner of Screven and Prince Streets, Georgetown
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.000    W 079° 16.890
  33.366667    -79.2815
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This courthouse, designed by prominent architect and South Carolina native Robert Mills (1781-1855), was built in 1823-24 to replace a courthouse which had been damaged by two hurricanes. Mills himself, who also designed the Washington Monument, called this courthouse "a great ornament to the town." A modern Mills scholar has described it as "the most sophisticated of his South Carolina courthouses."

(Reverse)
An initial appropriation of $12,000 was approved for the new courthouse. The South Carolina Board of Commissioners for Public •Buildings, including John Keith and Abraham Cohen of Georgetown, supervised its construction by contractor Russell Warren. This Mills design is an excellent example of the Classical Revival style so widely used in American public architecture during much of the nineteenth century.

Erected by Georgetown County Historical Society - 1997