Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Town Clock (1842-45)*



Marker ID: SCHM 22-47
Location: Front St., Georgetown, between the Town Clock and the Kaminski Building
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 21.936    W 079° 16.952
  33.3656    -79.282533
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Greek Revival market and town hall was built in 1842 after a fire destroyed many of the frame buildings on Front Street. An open-air market occupied the first floor and the town hall occupied the second floor; the clock tower and belfry were added in 1845. On February 24, 1865 the town council, meeting here, surrendered Georgetown to officers of the U.S. Navy. The Rice Museum opened in this building during the S.C. Tricentennial in 1970.

Erected by Georgetown County Historical Society - 1997


Notes:

Two sided - Kaminski Building