Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Kaminski Building*



Marker ID: SCHM 22-47
Location: Front St., Georgetown, between the Town Clock and the Kaminski Building
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 21.936    W 079° 16.952
  33.3656    -79.282533
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This store, constructed as a two-story building for Stephen W. Rouquie in 1842, features a cast-iron facade designed by Daniel Badger. In 1869 Heiman Kaminski, who had rented the building since 1867 to house his hardware store, acquired it. Over the next 30 years H. Kaminski and Co. became one of Georgetown´s most successful businesses; by 1878 a third story and rear addition were added. The building is now part of the Rice Museum.

Erected by Georgetown County Historical Society - 1997


Notes:

Two sided - Town Clock (1842-45)