Historic Markers Across South Carolina



John and Mary Perry Cleland House*



Marker ID: SCHM 22-48
Location: 405 Front Street, Georgetown
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 21.790    W 079° 16.732
  33.363167    -79.278867
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This house, one of Georgetown´s earliest, was built ca. 1737 by John and Mary Perry Cleland. Mrs. Cleland inherited the property from her father John Perry, who had been granted a large tract in 1705 including the site of present-day Georgetown. This house is a raised tidewater residence with its main entrance facing the Sampit River. It features elements of the Georgian and Federal styles.


(Reverse)
In 1753 the house was purchased by the Clelands´ nephew Archibald Baird. He made small additions to each end of the house and relocated the main entrance to Front Street. A porch was added there ca. 1780. Later prominent owners of the house included John Withers, Jr., Francis Withers, Dr. Joseph Blythe, and Robert F.W. Allston.

Erected by Georgetown County Historical Societv - 1997