Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Kaminski House



Marker ID: SCHM 22-49
Location: on Front street in Georgetown, South Carolina.
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.114    W 079° 17.192
  33.368567    -79.286533
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(side 1)
This house, probably built between 1750 and 1800, was for many years the home of Harold Kaminski (1886-1951), Georgetown commissioner, mayor 1930-35, and U.S. Navy officer, and his wife Julia Bassard Pyatt (d. 1972). The house was originally owned by members of the Trapier and Keith families, including John Keith (d. ca. 1823), first intendant, or mayor, of Georgetown in 1806. It then passed through a succession of owners from 1853 to 1931.

(side 2)
The Kaminski House, originally a single house with a central stairhall between two rooms, was significantly enlarged in the 1890´s by George R. Congdon (1834-1909), also mayor in 1872, and in the 1930´s and 1940´s by Harold and Julia Kaminski. The house and its furnishings, including antiques from the 18th to the 20th centuries, was bequeathed to the City of Georgetown by Julia Pyatt Kaminski and has been open to the public as a house museum since 1973.

Erected by the Georgetown County Historical Society – 1998