Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Oaks Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 22-50
Location: on Hy 17 South of Georgetown, South Carolina
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 13.047    W 079° 22.818
  33.21745    -79.3803
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Oaks Plantation was established on the Santee River in 1705 by a grant from the Lords Proprietors to John Sauseau, a French Huguenot settler. It passed through several owners in the prominent Buchanan and Withers families before 1793, when brothers Isaac and William Mazyck acquired a tract of more than 1,00 acres and began producing rice here on the rich Santee River delta.

Erected by the St. James Santee Parish Historical Soiety - 1999.