Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Prince Frederick's Chapel



Marker ID: SCHM 22-52
Location: at the chapel ruins, Plantersville Rd. (S.C. Sec. Rd. 22-52), 4 mi. E of U.S. Hwy. 701
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 30.351    W 079° 10.832
  33.50585    -79.18053333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The first church on this site, known as Prince Frederick´s Chapel, Pee Dee, was built in 1848 on a site donated by the Rev. Hugh Fraser in 1834. Most of its parishioners were rice planters along the Pee Dee River. These ruins are of the second church here, approved by a committee of R.F.W. Allston, Davison McDowell and Francis Weston and begun in 1859 but interrupted by the Civil War.

(Reverse)
This Gothic Revival church designed by Louis J. Barbot was completed in 1876 with a gift of $1700 by John Earle Allston. With the decline of rice planting the church gradually fell into disrepair and was eventually deemed unsafe. It was demolished in 1966, leaving only the front wall and tower. The ruins were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Erected by the Georgetown Committee of the National Society
of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina, 2001