Historic Markers Across South Carolina



All Saints Parish (1767) / All Saints, Waccamaw



Marker ID: SCHM 22-54
Location: All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, Episcopal Church, 10172 Ocean Hwy. (U.S. Hwy. 17), Pawleys Island, SC
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 28.044    W 079° 8.367
  33.4674    -79.13945
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

All Saints Parish (1767)


Anglican services were held on Waccamaw Neck by 1737, with a chapel built on land purchased by Percival Pawley. All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, created out of Prince George Winyah Parish in 1767, was the third Anglican parish created in present-day Georgetown County. Though the parish declined somewhat after the American Revolution it was revived soon afterwards.

All Saints, Waccamaw


The parish church of All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, has stood on this site since 1737. A brick Greek Revival sanctuary built in 1843 burned in 1915 and was replaced in 1917 by a church replicating that design on a smaller scale and which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. The present sanctuary was built in 1988.

Erected by the Peedee Chapter,
National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, 2001