Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Sampit Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 22-56
Location: U.S. Hwy. 17A, Sampit, SC
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 21.861    W 079° 27.48
  33.36435    -79.458
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, formally organized in 1839, had its origins in a slave mission begun in 1786 on Gov. Thomas Boone´s plantation, 3 miles SE. Rev. P.A.M. Williams became its first minister in 1840. The first church, a frame building built the same year, stood 1.5 miles S. The present sanctuary was built on a 5-acre plot donated to the church in 1887 by Benjamin D. Bourne, a member and trustee.

(Reverse)
The present sanctuary, built by the time the congregation acquired this site in 1887, was originally a frame church. It was extensively renovated in 1959-60 and completely covered in brick in 1975-76. Three members of the church later became Methodist ministers: Revs. C.D. Huggins, Jack D. Watts, and John Paul Watts, Sr. Sampit is also the mother church of Oak Grove Methodist Church, founded in 1890.

Erected by the Congregation, 2003